Tuesday 24 August 2010

Deadwood to Lusk - continued

Thursday, 12th August 2010

Leaving Crazy Horse, we were heading for Custer State Park, & a twisty, winding road called the Needles Highway. Well, I say we - that is, everyone except me in the van! Truth is, there are some extremely narrow passageways between the rocks, & I don't think the van would get through them. I just scraped (not literally!) through last year, in a smaller van, so I didn't want to risk it in the Mercedes, which was both wider & higher than the Chevvy. So, the plan was that I'd meet up with the bikes at the restaurant in Custer State Park for lunch, & that's pretty much what happened. Custer is famous for large numbers of Bison, & we saw plenty of them. Up at the front, they were on the road & the bikes had a great view, but by the time I got there with the van they had wandered over into the fields.

What's the difference between a bison & a buffalo?
We arrived at Lusk for our overnight stay in good time for a swim in the outdoor pool, but sadly there was no BBQ for us, as Tom, who owns the hotel & is chief BBQ cook on these occasions, was away at Sturgis enjoying himself. However, he was thoughtful enough to leave a little 'Goody Bag' for every room in our group instead. How very kind of him, it's little touches like these that make us want to go back each year.

No comments: